Saturday, February 06, 2010

Valentine's Day, Celebrating Love

My hubby and I don't normally celebrate a holiday like Valentine's Day as we feel it is just another one of those Card company promotions. What I do feel is that we should show our love for our spouse every day of the year and not just this one. Sure you can go out and buy your loved one something special on this day and I really wish you would (from me of course), but why not show them how much you care by doing something special for them instead of buying. I know we are all strapped for cash so this year would be the perfect time to start a new tradition. So, how about some of these ideas to get you started.

Make your own chocolate treats, fudge, cookies, candy - I know that for Christmas I made cookies and treats and everyone loved them probably more than if we had purchased fancy chocolates. One of the special items was Chocolate dipped pretzels. I purchased those pretzel rods from the local grocery store and then found the chocolate melts made by Wilton which are very easy to melt in the microwave. I also purchased  Health bits and mixed chopped nuts. Once the pretzels are dipped in the melted chocolate you can then sprinkle on the nuts and candy. What a hit. For Valentines Day I bet you could use the white melts and red sprinkles, so cute and festive.

Handmade Valentine's Day card - This is one of the easiest things to do. Lots of computers have programs that help you create cards, but you could also find a wonderful love poem on-line, type it into your computer using a neat little font, print it on vellum and insert it between a folded piece of red or Valentine printed cardstock. All the supplies you could get at any craft store or scrapbook store for pennies on the dollar of purchasing one of those fancy cards.

Jewelry - Yes you can make it yourself. I have several published tutorials to help you out, but if you want something for your hubby, why not make him a larger version of the Love Knot Ring (forget the cluster of gems). I used 14 gauge wire for my ring, but for one that is larger why not use 12 gauge. It is simple enough that I think a man would wear it, especially in sterling silver.

I'm sure you all have lots of other ideas out there for hand crafting your own Valentine's Day gift but if you don't and would prefer to purchase something for your love, here are a few products that I found interesting.

Fire and Ice Cigar Pen by Turnz-U-A-Round
Sumatra Mandheling Fair Trade Organic coffee by Brainscan
Mint Lip Balm by Venus Candles
Bath Fizzies by Bathgasm
Heart and Crystal Earrings by Letamarie Designs
Funky Valentine's Day cards by Love to Stamp
Ruby Necklace by Dana's Jewelry Design

Most all these items except for mine, Ruby necklace, was found on ArtFire.com. If you are interested in the Ruby necklace I have it listed in my 1000 Markets shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin