Thursday, February 25, 2010

A Couple of Book Reviews

Last Summer I was in a funk after being laid off from my job of 12+ years and wondering what I was going to do with the rest of my life and needed some inspiration so I bought 4 crafty books. Once I got the books, I thought I would do reviews on them, but never got around to it….until now. A couple are jewelry related and the other two are craft. The craft book reviews will be published on my Crafty News site and the jewelry books on my Dana’s Jewelry Design blog.

I was so excited to get this book. It looked fun and was written by Jennifer Perkins, host of Craft Lab on the DIY Network. Jennifer also has her own with site by the same name www.naughtysecretaryclub.com.

The Naughty Secretary Club
The Working Girl’s Guide to Handmade Jewelry
By Jennifer Perkins

This is a kitchy craft book, so if you are into that you will love this book. Easy project made with everyday materials or materials that are very inexpensive. Lots of color photos and easy instructions would provide the beginning crafter with all they need to know. I do not recommend this book to those who are older, like myself (late 40’s) or have experience with jewelry making. If you like bold colorful jewelry bordering on the gaudy then this book has some great ideas. Did I make anything out of the book? No, but I did enjoy looking through all the projects. There are about 29 projects in the book and if you are a teen or 20 something crafter and want to make some fun funky jewelry cheap, then this is the book for you.

Would I keep this book in my library of craft reference books? No, sorry Jennifer
Would I have bought this book if I had been able to thumb through it first? No
Would I recommend you buy this book? Maybe
Review for Graphics and Photos is 5 stars
Review for Content is 3 stars

When I purchased this group of craft books I was really into altered art and soldering with a soldering iron which is why this book appealed to me.

Semiprecious Salvage
Creating Found-Art Jewelry
By Stephanie Lee

If you like the unusual or want to learn some new techniques for putting found and created objects together, then you will love this book. I like this book although not as attention grabbing as the previous books I have reviewed this one has techniques and ideas that I found interesting. I like the unusual and asymmetrical qualities of the jewelry pieces that she puts together in the book. Instructions are clear and well marked with steps. Some of the materials and tools may need you to branch out a bit in your comfort zone if you are not familiar with metalsmithing techniques. Lots of photos which I find helpful as some people learn by viewing and not reading. There are 25 different projects in the book and even though I haven’t tried any of them yet, I plan to.

Would I keep this book in my library of craft reference books? Yes
Would I have bought this book if I had been able to thumb through it first? Yes
Would I recommend you buy this book? Yes
Review for Graphics and Photos is 5 stars
Review for Content is 4 stars

Obviously both of these books are available at Amazon.com if you want to purchase them. If you want to read my other two craft book reviews go HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin