Monday, January 31, 2011

Victorian Fans and Embellishments

I think I finally have it figured out. The Victorian fans I'm making for a ladies luncheon are now coming together. I have the first one completed and even made a couple of paddle fans (much smaller of course). I made one just using scrapbook card stock and it was too flimsy so I've been saving cardboard cereal boxes and cutting them up to use as the base for the fan paddles. They worked out great. A little bit more work with having to glue the paper to the front and the back of the cardboard but they will hold up much better. Next was the pictures and the embellishments. I found some paper dollies to use under the pictures and it looks much more Victorian and lacy. Some paper punches in the shape of flowers and scalloped circles and ovals round it out. If you would like the template for the folding fan you can get it at Mirkwood Designs.


The paddle fans are quick and easy and usable. Good for all us ladies that get a little hot every once in a while. You know who you are.

If you notice on the front of the fold out fan the yellow flower. Well that is tissue paper with a pearl and button center. Thanks to Janea my bead soup partner for that idea. As she sent me one on my gift box.  Check out her blog to see the goodies I sent her.  So now I'm going to make several to use as embellishments on the pages of the Hampton Fat book I'm working on.

Here is a couple of pictures of the tissue flower embellishment. To make them you will need a scalloped edge paper punch. It could be a heart, circle oval or whatever shape you want. I opened up a bag of colored tissue paper and folded it flat and punched through the entire stack twice to get the desired thickness of tissue. Then I punched card stock, hole punched in the middle of all of them, threaded a small 4mm glass pearl and button with some small gauge wire and inserted it through the hole in the papers. Then I folded the wires back and added a touch of glue to the bottom right in the middle to secure. Let dry. Finally, I scooched up the tissue. I'll trim the wires before using them on my pages but I love the look of them.



So much fun. Now to finish crocheting a beanie hat for my brother.

Have a great week and if you are into making scrapbooks or mixed media, give the tissue flowers a try.http://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/fan.htmhttp://www.ruthannzaroff.com/mirkwooddesigns/fan.htm

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you liked my flower...you have made yours very cute and I love the yellow one. Yellow roses are my favorite all time flower. I share that trait with my aunt, grandmother, and mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin