Thursday, April 02, 2009

Make it NOW

What’s going on right now? Everyone I talk to seems to be in a funk and not looking that far forward. It’s like something might happen next week that will bring everything to a halt. I think that with the world economy we should go back to our roots, whatever that is. I have seen more people getting into crafts and making their useable items, cooking/baking more and spending more time with their family. I’ve always been one to see something in a store I like and think to myself "I could make that much cheaper" and then go home and not make it. Now, I find that I am making those items that I once wished I had purchased, such as a crocheted scarf or afghan, good smelling soap, sachets, decorative pillows, curtains, jewelry, dinners I can pop in the microwave for lunch, art glass plates and fine art paintings. If you want to start a hobby/craft of your own, there are numerous resources on the web such as Wiki How http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page, EHow http://www.ehow.com/ and DIY Crafts http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/crafts/ just to name a few.


There is even more that we seem to be cutting back on and that is services such as manicures and pedicures, massages, hair treatments, house keepers, lawn maintenance workers and travel agencies. All these things we can and are doing ourselves and saving money, but what happens to those service people if all of us stop using their services? I think this is what we are seeing. I do know that if I was to lose my full time job tomorrow all the extra services that I use would be stopped. I would have no apology as it is just a fact of life and survival becomes primal and our first priority. Who will care if my nails aren’t filed and painted to perfection?


I have no answer, but do know that the worst may be yet to come and we may have to tighten our belts a little bit more. My best advice that I may have to take real soon is to either make it or do it yourself. Plan now for your kid’s future and your retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin